The Hen House

No new registrations are being accepted but you are welcome to read through the ideas and tips for women's ministry that are already here. If you want to interact, please see us on FACEBOOK. http://www.facebook.com/creativeladiesministry
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 am 

We are planning on a ladies ministry picnic at a state park and have decided to include a scavenger/treasure hunt for the game/activity besides eating! Has anyone tried this yet and if so, what were your results -- especially for interest and turnout? So far, we've decided to split the attendants up into separate teams with the winning team received prizes for each team member. Any and all thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

It's been since I was a teenager that I participated in an outside scavenger hunt. Have done a few inside ones at ladies meetings though and they were really fun. I would think it would be something your ladies might enjoy doing, especially since Geocaching has become so popular (it is here anyway). Do you know what that is? It's where people hide things in a certain place and others find it by GPS. They do a whole thing with it online (www.geocaching.com) One of my daughter's teachers is really into it.

Since you are using teams, a scavenger hunt would be a good team builder (working together) type exercise too. Maybe some of the other ladies will give you some insight too.

Our Hen House is an extension of www.juliabettencourt.com
Be sure to visit the main site for more Women's Ministry Helps!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:18 pm 

Each group is instructed to find 26 things, each beginning with each letter of the alphabet and bring it back to you. The first group to return is the winner. Example: A - ant, B - baked beans, C - cooler, etc... For those "big" items such as T- tree, B - boat... you could accept a digital pic from their camera or phone. Another twist... make it all digital and a group pic (with the exeption of the photographer) must be photographed with the item. The groups must "present" what they found to the others and you could recognize/offer a prize for the most unique item(s) too. Just an idea... hope it helps!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 pm 

I write and plan a scavenger hunt every year as this is always a favorite women's activity here, we always have a great turn out for this. I change it up every year, usually dividing the teams in groups of 3-5 depending on attendance and if there will be younger girls/teens attending as well.

I have used the A-Z challenge a little differently, where it was more a picture of whatever item I decided, and if it's at a state park, the others around would be glad to help usually (I find those NOT participating always love to help for this sort of thing, they feel like they've been included in the fun) so pictures of toucans or pandas (can be on a shirt or someone's catalog) and work as well. I list everything with various points next to them, usually giving the more difficult items higher points.

I make a list of items they need pictures of (nearly EVERYONE has a digital camera or a camera phone, so this is pretty easy for people to do. Just let the guests know ahead of time to prepare for it) and another list of actual physical items to bring back.

The picture thing is great, because I can say "a picture of someone who looks closest to Pastor, or col. Sanders" or even, "a picture of most of your group making a pyramid, or on the swings set" I usually start every team with a bag to gather the items in and their list an an envelope with the time on the outside saying what time they are expected back, and I also found adding they lose 1-5 points for every minute they are late getting back is very helpful, or some will finish the list and take so much longer than others.

Then I make a third category of "challenges" where some of the ones I have used were they had to find someone to sing them the correct words to the star spangled banner and sign the paper if they did it right, or they had to find coins with the dates and if they did they could mark those years off, each mark was a point (any coins, years, 1939, 1940, 1941...etc, all the way up), or get 25 people to high-five them... use Brownielocks web site to look up what special unique day of the year it is to inform them of that if possible and tie something into that. Last years the one we did was on fitness day or something like that, so they had to tell people that and get some people interested in doing some push-ups with them...
find a couple married the longest to get them to sign your paper, or the most newlywed, whoever gets this gets more points...the biggest yard sign...

Think about how long you want them to be gone, 1 - 1/2 hours is a good amount of time, but don't underestimate how much they can do in this time...it's more than you will think they can do, so write a LOT for them to try and find/accomplish.

I have done these in the mall (where I found out, you cannot take pics, so if you do this ever, check with your local mall) and in cars before gas got so pricey for people.
I always say to them in the directions on the front of the envelope, "you can beg, borrow and plead, but no stealing, and you may not use any of your own money for anything. You may only get ONE item checked off your list from each place/person you go to. The points are just like campaign promises, they don't really mean much, but having said that...play to win!"

Once you start this, you'll see how fun and easy it is to come up with different ideas. I would have loved to show you the ones I did, I had them all saved, but my computer died and took everything I had on it with it (bye bye pics of the kids...bye bye music...bye bye devotions wrote...)
:)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:00 pm 

Wow! Sounds like you really have the scavenger hunt thing down! Lots of good ideas. Sorry to hear about your computer crash. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 pm 

Wow, what wonderful ideas! I'm thinking about incorporating the pictures idea along with the letters of the alphabet. There's all kinds of things people could take pictures of at the park. Once I go out there and take a good look around (which will probably be next weekend as we are having our ladies tea Saturday) then I'll have a better idea of whether to try writing out clever rhyming clues; or just give them a list of things they need to find; or just the things that begin with letters of the alphabet. Whew.... lots of ideas running around my beady little brain tonight! Thank you everyone for such great ideas. That is why I love the Henhouse so much.